06.08.2012

Talk about Jesus


Friday, July 27. Today is a meeting for the validation of the JADF strategic plan and as the last one, it is at the hotel complex La Palisse. Richard takes us there with his car. The basketball team is staying at that hotel and I think I even recognise some of men, as Richard greets them. Unlike Richard guessed, we are not the first participants to arrive. It is a good feeling to recognise even a few among the others and be recognised by them. Some I know from the last meeting we had on this topic and there also is one of the permanent secretaries we have interviewed. It is the one from Rubavu, who promised to send us documents, which he didn’t do so far. A good opportunity to remind him and again, he promises to send it to us very soon. He was too busy until now. The meeting starts in English, but the discussion later is in Kinyarwanda. They seem to discuss small issues, details in the plan. I contribute through Richard, suggesting another way to phrase a certain discussed expression and asking about a missing chart. This chart was discussed and drafted in a new way during the last meeting, but now it is not included. The answer on that is not satisfactory, but I don’t press on it. Surprisingly, the meeting finishes at 12 am and we have lunch there. Fernanda and I also meet the Permanent Secretary of Kirehe, where we are supposed to go on Monday. She is informed and expects us. 
After work, Beatrice and I go to the bank together, where I wait outside while she gets money with a check. I am watching the passing pedestrians, when two white girls approach me. They ask me what I am doing there and how I am and say that they are from America. I have already noticed that. ‘Have you heard of Jesus?’ Oh no, not that one. Anyway, ‘Yes, I have heard of that name.’ They want to know if I want to meet him, but I don’t want to talk about Jesus with them. They say I have beautiful eyes, piercing, the colour of the turquoise shirt of one of them. I keep my reserve, not saying much although I would actually like to know what church they belong to. However, I don’t want to give them an opening to deepen the conversation. They want to invite me to a coffee, but I apologise, explaining that I am waiting for someone. The one girl promises to pray for me, because ‘I have nothing else to do with my life.’ (actual quote). I reply that that is really sad. ‘Amen.’ They promise that this very week, I will encounter Jesus. ‘Amen.’ I doubt it. They have gone to get their coffee, when one of the girls come back, saying that they really want to buy me a coffee. I could also bring my friend who I am waiting for. ‘Sorry, we are busy.’ - ‘Well, maybe next time.’ Or maybe not. 
Beatrice laughs when I tell her about the incident. She assumes that they are part of the Jehova group. However, she has never met any white people doing that, approaching people on the streets. If you have time, you can talk to them, she thinks. If not, say so. We have a drink at a small restaurant down the road. A fire burns in an oven, creating a homely atmosphere. Apparently, they have pizza. We should come one day and eat here.